Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thundersnow and first time driving in snow

The forecasts all week were right. Today much of the east coast, including my home state of Maryland, got a rare November snowfall. It was unfortunately timed to run alongside one of the busiest travel days of the year. Fortunately, the roads weren't too bad during most of the day. I was driving to my dad's house because I go there for Thanksgiving in even years. It was my very first time behind the wheel during snow and I did very well, since I was cautious and the roads weren't slippery at all. Also, at about 11:30 this morning there was a rumble of thunder. Yes, we had thundersnow in the Baltimore area. It was also heard in southern Pennsylvania, around the York/Lancaster area. This is why it will be another snowstorm to remember for years to come.

Here's a radar image from about the moment the thundersnow occurred, if anyone's interested. It looks like rain on this radar because it uses the same color scheme for both rain and snow., something that even confused me at first. Also, the source I got this from, an Iowa-based organization, has the time in Central time, which is one hour behind me.

Pictures from my camera:





No comments:

Post a Comment