Saturday, November 29, 2014

My laptop's keyboard broke

About two months ago, I spilled some soda (root beer) on my laptop's keyboard. It's not exactly a "true" keyboard because the keys are all placed individually along the bottom half of the laptop and separated by a slab of plastic, on which the power button and speakers are also located (the touchpad and some stickers are on a separate slab). Plus the keys are really thin, so it's not as easy to pull apart and fix individual keys.

So a few hours after the soda incident my N key stopped working. I opened the on-screen keyboard so I could click on the N key in there. Then the next day my C key stopped working (soda probably reached it) so I had to use the on-screen keyboard for that key too. Strangely my V and B keys worked the whole time. But it was a little annoying having to click on two letters whose keys were broken.

Now the rest of my keyboard, except for a couple of keys are non-functional as well. I was trying to do repairs on the C and N keys but somehow I ended up breaking the rest of the keyboard. I'm looking for any possible solutions, like new drivers, but until then I pulled out an old Dell media center desktop keyboard and plugged it into one of the USB ports on my laptop. It's mostly solved the problem, but it's occasionally refused to work as well. That's why I've had to keep the on-screen keyboard open even though the C and N keys on this keyboard work fine. But maybe I should have just let the keys on my laptop stay broken? :(

No comments:

Post a Comment