Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Misadventures in video making

I really enjoy recording, editing and uploading videos but sometimes I run into problems. And lately I've been having more of those problems than usual. They have been so counterproductive to me that I have come to dread the rendering and uploading bits of the process.

One particular situation last week involved a project I did on Sony Vegas for my second channel. Because of my laziness, I didn't get started on it until 11:00 in the evening. The program decided to stop responding midway through and I restarted it, losing about ten seconds of unsaved work but luckily nothing more. I finished the video around 12:20 and rendered it. It took about 20 minutes, but that's normal for a somewhat long 1080p HD Windows Media video (my default specs). Then I went onto YouTube but when I selected the finished video file, the uploader displayed a message saying that it couldn't connect to YouTube's server. I tried twice more only to get the same message. Since it was 1:00 in the morning I figured that was the issue and called it quits for the night. I slept, woke up and at about 10:30 I tried uploading the video again and this time succeeded. It was a weird problem I had never seen before.

And then yesterday I imported a nine-and-a-half minute video from my camera to my laptop. I was going to remove the first five minutes because I didn't want that part in the finished video clip. I went on Windows Movie Maker because that's where I do simple edits. I removed the part of the video I didn't want but when I was rendering it my laptop suddenly shut down. I turned it back on, went back to Movie Maker and the same thing happened. So I almost went to Vegas but then I decided that was going to take forever. So I just decided to upload the full nine-and-a-half minutes to YouTube and then go into the video editor and trim the video there.

I loaded the video onto the YouTube uploaded and the uploading part took about 5 minutes, and the processing about 7, which I think is a bit long for a standard-definition video (and I upload a lot of mine in HD). I then went to the video editor (which now has to be accessed first by going to the Creator Studio, then the video manager, then clicking Edit on a video) and removed the first half of the video. It took several minutes for YouTube to process my edits but finally the video was the length I wanted it to be. I'm used to YouTube being slow like that, but not that slow.

So maybe I just need to be more patient with any issues I face while working with my videos. Or maybe I should make them shorter, or only in standard definition, to speed up rendering and uploading, or just work on them earlier in the day. But since I've made quality a huge concern in my videos during the past couple of years, I guess I'll always have to deal with these problems every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment