Wednesday, July 9, 2014

My power went out for 14 hours

Yesterday, a huge thunderstorm hit my house at about 7:30 pm. Before it started raining, it was thundering really loud and there was a huge gust of wind. It felt like the wind was going to blow my house apart. The weather warnings said it was an "unusually dangerous" storm so I think that thought was justified.

Then we had a round of rain and as the rain was letting up my power went out. I was totally expecting a power outage because there were already reports of power outages in other areas. Then there was a bit more thunder and lightning, and then it rained some more. Pretty soon there was a rainbow in the sky, and then the sky was all yellow and orange because the sun was setting. But when the sun went behind the trees, my house was dark, and we had to break out the flashlights.

We had no TV or internet due to the outage, so I couldn't look up a radar or weather warnings or damage reports or any of that severe weather stuff. I could have put batteries in my weather radio, but I didn't feel like it, so I didn't have that to listen to either. I had to turn off my laptop and my iPod Touch because they were running out of batteries.

So then I went to bed and when I woke up our power was still out. For the next three hours I just sat and waited for our power to come back on and I was so bored. Finally, we got out power back at about 9:20 almost 14 hours after it went out. It was the longest power outage in my life. I think before my longest was something like 10 hours.

It turned out a tree fell on a pole and wiped out the power grid my house is in. It was also out in all of the surrounding grids due to other fallen trees. We weren't alone, because most of the Baltimore, Washington and Philadelphia metro areas as well as central New York were in the dark yesterday from those stronger-than-usual storms. I'm just glad my house didn't fall victim to the wind, and also that we have our internet back!

No comments:

Post a Comment