Thursday, June 12, 2014

My chocolate pudding adventures

Back in April, I suddenly had a desire for chocolate pudding. So I looked up recipes online and found one that involved adding egg yolks. I didn't have any cornstarch (an important ingredient) so I decided to substitute it with flour.

Well, the pudding came out really thick and grainy, so I thought it was just because I used flour instead of cornstarch. I didn't really want to eat it the way it came out but I did anyway because I didn't want to waste it.

Then on Monday, I decided to try the same recipe again because I had cornstarch this time. When I put it the cornstarch I noticed that it was pretty different from flour so I figured the pudding would come out right this time. After I had mixed everything including the egg and boiled it, I put it in a bowl but just like the first time, it had that grainy texture. So that meant it didn't depend on whether I used flour or cornstarch - it would still come out the same way.

Then when I was eating the pudding, I thought maybe I had just boiled it too long both times. But then I realized that maybe it was the egg that made the pudding like that, because it reminded me of the texture of eggs after they're cooked.

So I decided to try the recipe a third time today. This time when the first ingredients were boiling and I was mixing the other ingredients, I didn't put any eggs in. Then I mixed those ingredients with the others to boil together, and when they were done I put them in the bowl to put in the refrigerator. The pudding finally came out right this time, with that custard-like, slightly less solid texture. I put the bowl in the fridge, and then later I ate the pudding and was finally satisfied.

So I guess I learned from this that eggs don't go well in custard-type puddings. Or maybe it's just how my taste buds are. Whatever it is, I'm never using another pudding recipe that calls for eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment