Thursday, February 13, 2014

Unusual snowstorm

So it started snowing just over 24 hours ago and we got just about a foot of snow overnight. Then it was sleeting in the late morning and early afternoon. But at about a quarter of eight this morning when I had just woken up (but was still in bed and still sleepy) and it was windy and the gusts of wind kept brushing ice crystals against my window.

Also later this morning, there was just plain rain less than 20 miles from my house but here it was still plain snow. It never got warm enough for normal rain here but we did get some freezing rain.

So before lunch I shoveled my front walk and at the same time my street got shoveled and one of our neighbors was plowing everyone's driveways. Then in the afternoon no precipitation was falling. But just before four o'clock the bottom end of the system started coming in. We got some wintry mix and then by about 6:30 it was back to plain snow. That means another snowy night and more shoveling tomorrow. I'm calling this a "mini-blizzard" because it has some characteristics of a blizzard but not all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment