Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day suddenly became legit

In previous years, the only special thing I've done on Mother's Day is given my mom a little gift or two. This low-key method of celebrating Mother's Day suddenly changed today.

Last night I learned we were making a turkey with sides, almost like a Thanksgiving or Easter meal. I'm used to just eating a normal dinner even on this day. Then I was at work this morning at ShopRite and people were doing last-minute shopping. A lot of people were buying bouquets of flowers like it was Valentine's Day. I also noticed that those little boxes of assorted chocolates (which I bought one of for my mom) had special Mother's Day packaging.

What I'm saying is that this was the first time I've even seen Mother's Day be taken this seriously. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's just that I'm not used to celebrating it at that level. Still, I hope everyone had a good day today. And I guess I'll be expecting the same kind of thing on Father's Day next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment